Friday, May 14, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday



I am totally borrowing this idea from several other bloggers because I love the format. I don't know if I will keep it up but I wanted to give it a try.

1) We were up early this morning and ready for the gym over an hour before the day care opened so I decided to be all laid-back casual and go for a walk in the neighborhood instead. Which would have been great had it not also been garbage day. "Look Ben, a Robin!" "Look Ben, someone's used sofa cushions!"

2) I have also realized while walking in our neighborhood that there is not a whole heck of a lot to look at other than the typical houses and cars that populate suburbia. I have been debating going to a local trail to walk instead. The drawback of the trail being that it is primarily one several mile long straight line so you can only walk so far before you have to turn around and go back the way you came. Unless you are a marathoner - which I am not. As a result of this lack of scenery, I have become fascinated with peering in other people's garages. I am always interested to see what people keep in their garages besides their cars. So far I have witnessed an amalgam of toddler ride-on toys, bikes, yard equipment, sporting goods, and my favorite so far - a giant road sign announcing some unknown area as "The Home of the Jaguars: 2002 State Tennis Champs".

3) Ben is loving the sippy cup with the straw. He now toddles everywhere with his milk. Including the carpeted living room. Which is a big no-no. Turns out that no matter what they promise on the outside of the package - all sippy cups leak. All of them. His current favorite is just a drip here and there but still - not what I want on the carpet. Worst of all, he knows this - he gets right to the edge of the kitchen tile, turns back to me and GRINS just as he walks over the boundary. I have a feeling I am in for some big trouble in the coming months years.

Also, just this minute, Ben got a hold of the Kleenex box from the table and emptied all of the Kleenex out. This isn't the first time he has managed this trick, but it IS the first time that he sat on the floor in his piles of Kleenex and pretended to blow his nose on them! I can't decide if it's cute or disgusting. Probably a little of both. Looks like maybe I can get rid of that nasty booger-sucker bulb sooner rather than later!





4) Because of his new proficiency with the sippy cup, we are already down to just the bedtime bottle and are getting ready to (sob) eliminate that one as well. Soon, my boy will be a cup-only kid. Which will lead to a shorter bedtime routine and longer play times for him as well as  one less thing for mommy and daddy to worry about. These are the things I tell myself when I get sad about not snuggling with the bottle before bed. It's not really helping.

5) Our first Farmer's Market of the season is tomorrow. I am very excited to go and try to get some fresh fruit and veggies. I also have a longer term goal of locating a supplier of grass-fed beef. I want to try to keep our tot away from the hormones and supplements in the grocery store stuff as much as possible. But it seems that most of the places I have found online are a good hour or more from here and I have yet to convince my husband that it's worth the cost and travel. I am hoping I will find a local farmer tomorrow or at least some information on how to track one down. For goodness sake, we live in the middle of farm country - I wouldn't think it would be that tough to locate.

6) I am debating meetup.com. On the one hand, I like the casualness of being able to join a mom's group/play group and only meet when I feel like it. On the other hand, something about getting together with a group of complete strangers and their children raises my social anxiety off the charts. But, we do need to find some things to do this summer and it would be nice to be able to have something fun planned every now and then without having to make it a regularly scheduled activity.... the jury is still out on this one, I think.

7) Only two more weeks until my husband is cleared by his surgeon to resume his usual manly household chores. This includes returning to the kitty litter cleaning (I have recently discovered that if that had been my task all this time, we would probably not be cat owners. I'm mean, I know) and the trash duties as well as taking over his share of bed time routines and diaper changes. It also means that he will be able to lift (and therefore take care of) Ben and so I will be scheduling a pedicure appointment and a hair appointment for myself. ASAP.

Happy Friday, everyone!

Read more quick takes here!

No comments:

Post a Comment